Finally, I got to watch the movie Acrimony after much persuasion. And boy it was different from the regular love movies I thought it would end like. Continue reading “Life Lessons from the Movie Acrimony”
The NLNG Undergraduates and Post-Primary Scholarship 2019 is ongoing at the moment in Nigeria. Continue reading “NLNG Undergrad & Post-Primary Scholarship 2019”
There is no more precious a day for parents than the day of your child’s birth. On day two, however, you start to realize all of the questions you need answered and problems you need solved. One of the most pressing needs to be met is finding a pediatrician for your newborn.
The pediatrician you choose will be a large part of your new family for many years to come, so it is vital that you do your homework and ultimately be comfortable in your choice.
In the first year of your new baby’s life alone, you will be making upwards of six visits to the pediatrician for basic checkups. Plus, you’ll be there for any unexpected visits for their first cold or fever.
With that in mind, here are five great tips to help you in finding the pediatrician that is right for your baby and you.
1. You cannot do enough research when finding a pediatrician
A great way to start this process is by asking fellow parents about the doctor they use. Or, if you prefer, you can try an online service to find a pediatrician. Just remember when looking, that while it is essential to find a doctor that has the credentials and reviews that pass your test, it is also important to take into account their location, their hours (including after-hour care), and whether they accept your current insurance.
2. Examine their experience and their credentials
Pediatricians are doctors that specialize in the care of children from birth to young adulthood. When looking for a pediatrician, it is advisable to find one that has been trained at a reputable University.
Also, it is essential to find out how long this doctor has been practicing medicine and even the range of practice they have provided. Has their entire history been in an office setting or have they also worked in environments like hospitals and urgent cares? Are they currently operating in multiple environments? It is not at all uncommon for a pediatrician to have regular office hours and also do rounds in a hospital environment for newborns.
3. Make sure they are up to speed on the latest methods and practices
There may be no field that changes more rapidly than medicine. When entrusting the health and well being of your newborn to a physician, it is crucial that they are staying current with all of the latest knowledge and practices in the medical field, especially when finding a pediatrician.
You will most likely be searching high and low on the internet for tips, tricks, and advice about how to care for your newborn, so make sure that your pediatrician is someone who has the experience and current understanding of best practices to be able to give you sound advice for the wealth of questions you will most certainly have.
4. There is no “one-size-fits-all” when it comes to finding a pediatrician
Even when you think you have found a doctor that is current in their practices and has a thorough and comprehensive background of training and experience, there is a chance you may just not get along with that person. Maybe you feel a crying baby should always be picked up and your potential pediatrician thinks they should sometimes just “cry it out.” There is more to this decision than just a résumé, so make sure this is someone you feel entirely comfortable with.
5. What does your newborn think?
If you find someone that you think is a good fit but every time you go for a visit your baby does not seem to “click” with his/her new doctor, take note of that. If this is something that continues, this may be a sign that it is time to reassess your choice. This may not be anyone’s fault necessarily, but it is essential that your doctor has a great relationship with both you AND your baby.
Remember, this is someone your child will be seeing for the next several years so be sure that you feel comfortable with that relationship moving forward.
Also read about Early Child Development.
You can also leave comments and share experiences below on how to help parents find and get a good pediatrician.
Are you feeling a little clueless about how to choose the right Valentine’s Day gift and what it would be? You are not alone…
Picking the best valentine gift for a loved, one as simple as it may sound or look, can actually be tasking. Especially when you are trying to get one before February 14.
Even if you may not personally be marking valentine’s day, the other person may be expecting something. And you better not disappoint.
But not to worry. You are covered on this one. We have put together the possible list of items you can gift a loved one.
Before we go on just keep in mid these points to help you decide.
- You can be with someone but you don’t mark Valentine’s Day. And it’s not a must to show the other person love in their way. But it’s not just about you alone; it’s about them too…
- Don’t do too much or do too less in trying to get someone a Valentine’s Day gift. Going over the top could scare someone off or pass unintended message(s).
Doing enough means doing something that the other person may just be expecting or will be positively surprised by. There should be a meaning behind the gift.
- What is your relationship with the other person? Are you both dating? Is it your father or mother? Do you just want to tell the person you love them in a special kinda way? Or are you just friends?
- How sweet are you? And don’t even think about thinking to say you forgot. Especially when you are dating. And you better get the other person something that they can brag about (the experience). Because just like their birthday, Valentine’s Day is but once in a year.
- Make the presentation a special one too. It’s not just the gift given but the way it is given.
When you answer these questions above then go ahead to think of something appropriate.
So, here’s a list of awesome Valentine’s Day gift items we came up with for you:
VALENTINE’S DAY GIFTS IN CATEGORIES:
- For Her
- For Him
- Him or Her
- Valentine’s Day Treat
- For Family – Parents, Siblings, Kids
And yes you could customize gift items and Valentine’s Day cards to make them feel extra special. Plus, you can give some of these gifts regardless of gender.
Phone rings about 3:30 am on 12th February. It’s John on the line.
“Hey Johnnie, what’s up?”
“I cant sleep…”
“Why? What’s the matter?”
“I don’t know what to get Tina for Valentine’s Day…”
It can be intimidating when it comes to thinking about what to get her.
Whether you’re looking for a compact gift that is packed with feelings, something as fun and playful as a giant teddy bear, or a dramatic present of roses and rose petals all over with a violinist playing in the corner for the woman in your life, we’ve found great Valentine’s Day gifts that are sure to excite her.
And the best part is that you don’t have to break the bank.
- Scarf –You could get her a scarf of the colour she loves or a red one. Whatever she likes.
- Shoes – Stilettos, high heels, etc or whatever you have in mind should be comfortable for her and should match something in her collection. Or the wear should match something you intend buying for her.
- Ball Gown – Red and/or white gowns are killers. It should go with something she already has if she loves the colour you are getting.
- Perfumes – Eau de parfum, and cologne for women. Something from a collection of a brand she likes will do the job
- Lip stick – If she uses lip sticks then a red colour or any shade she loves is also a YES to go for.
- Make up kit – You can get her another set of her current kit if she owns one.
- Bangles, bracelets, necklace, earrings – Get her any of these jewelries or a set of these if you can afford to. And they better not be tacky.
- Night Robe – Something she can sleep soundly in and dream about you.
- A teddy bear with a handwritten love letter isn’t a bad idea either. A letter to tell your sweetheart just how much you care and cherish her and a teddy to cuddle when she misses you. Cool.
- Chocolate bars and cakes may get her fat. But for today it is an exception. If she is going to take some on her wedding day or already took some on your special day then she can take some more.
- Flowers – So many sweet flowers have unfortunately died this way all because of love. She will always appreciate them if she is not allergic to them. But they wont last except you are planting a garden.
- Phone – You could consider buying her a phone if you wish. Some are just great at misplacing phones. Especially around these times. So if her phones goes missing around this period, there you go.
- The Ultimate Gift – The Ring – If you intend to pop the question on this day then there is no better gift than this!
You mustn’t give these items singularly. You can check out a combination of gifts that go together and give them.
And who says you can’t combine that with a great dinner while presenting the gift(s). It could be the day you pop the question so make the day a smooth one.
Or you could ask another close female what she thinks about a gift you intend buying.
For women, it’s not easy choosing gifts for men too. And that is why most people have stuck to the tradition of giving men underwear for so long.
Get practical gift items that the man will love. From custom travel accessories that will keep you on his mind and in his heart whenever he’s away, to something he can use/wear while he is around, and anything in between, we will make it easy to find the perfect gift for your man.
Also, be creative about your choice of gift item(s). Try this list:
- Tuxedo/suit – If you really want to make him feel like he is the man then get him a tuxedo or suit. You cannot misfire when you get a black one of his size that fits!
- Wristwatch –You can’t miss it with wristwatches. Whether leather strap, chain, or a sporty one. All you have to do is get one that suits his preference.
- Custom soft robe/towel – Adding a personal touch to customize his cozy nights at home by writing his name on the back of that robe will make him feel like Mohammed Ali. Not to talk of when he wraps that towel around or clean himself up with it.
- Tie(s) – There will always be an occasion to wear a tie even if the man is a t-shirt and jean kind of person. Get him a tie and he will remember you every time he has to wear it.
- Perfume – Eau de cologne and toilet water are always a yes for a confident man who likes to smell good.
- Belts –Even if he sags, he will appreciate one of these. And just like a lady can’t have too many shoes, a guy can’t have too many belts.
- Shoes and socks – Simple wears, loafers, sneakers or leather shoes. You can’t go wrong with them for a man. Nothing too long or too colourful for socks. Just keep it simple if you are getting him a couple. You could even throw in a boxer short here if you are itchy to.
- Sports gear – He doesn’t have to be a fitness freak or a sportsman before you get him these. Most guys make this their ‘comfy outfit’ at home. And if he’s into jogging or playing sports, get him a canvas, trainers or anything his game requires and watch his face light up as he unboxes his new collection.
- Packet shirt and Tees – This might be an obvious gift choice but all you have to do is buy his size and it should be the type he likes. Something casual will always be acceptable.
- Headsets and Speakers – If he loves music, then get him one of these. These can be budget friendly as you can get different types and a guy who loves his music or sports would appreciate these. Wireless ear pods, bass headphones, or quality earpiece is goal.
- Wallet – This would be a great gift. Especially if he is one to use a wallet for a year. Plus he now has a place to stash some change, his complementary cards, voter’s, ATM, and other identification cards. He’ll love you for it.
- Cuff links– Like earrings for ladies, so are cuff links to men. He can never have too many of these. Add to his collection. They are small objects that can get lost easily. But give him a pair and he’ll not lose them.
- Shaving set – Even if he is a beard gang member, he would still need to trim some off. If he is a man who likes his face shaven clean, this would be a nice gift. Coconut oil may even make it here. So get some nice clippers if you can.
For Him or Her
The items listed here can be gifted to either him or her:
- Customised mug/drinking cup – Will be very cute especially if you inscribe a romantic message on it. When they sip their warm latte or tea in the morning they will remember you.
- Books and diaries – Are always a collector’s item. Write who it is from and gift them. Can’t go wrong especially when they have been scouting for a copy of the book.
- Something they can keep on their office desk – clock, pen, pen holder, diary, picture frames etc.
- Something with their name on it – A cap, a shirt etc
Valentine’s Day Treats
- A bottle of wine to share together
- A dinner in a fine restaurant or at home
- Tickets to go watch a show/movie/act
- A surprise get-away to anywhere etc. You can get creative with your own list.
It is not only a day of and for lovers… It is also a day to show as much love to the people around you.
Show love, compassion, and appreciation. From a boss to an employee, mother to daughter, and vice versa. You can extend the gesture of love to people you don’t even know.
If your parents (in-law) are alive you can get your dad a bottle of his favourite drink if he is not forbidden to drink it. And maybe a material to sew a simple traditional with.
You can equally get the mothers some wrappers and materials to see her tailor with or get her measurement and get it done for her. How about something for her kitchen?
Get siblings something they’ve always desired.
You could get the dude an educational toy, video game, or something to remember you by. Could even be a t-shirt.
You can buy for the girl a dress or a barbie depending on her age. Just be sure it’s something she’d like.
Get for your friend something you’d get for yourself…
Love is a universal language that knows no barriers. You can take it outside your door and still communicate it anywhere.
You can give to those who may never be able to pay you back. And there are always around.
The less privileged, displaced people, migrants, orphans, a new neighbour, widows, people without family etc. Used clothes, food, water, shoes, books etc. Whatever you’ve got can be of use. Share a smile, some hugs and firm handshakes…
THERE ARE NO LIMITS...
Be creative and dynamic enough to really listen and understand the other person you are trying to get a gift for by understand this:
- There is what you wish to get for them,
- There is also what they wish to have.
When you can reconcile the two then you can get your loved one(s) the suitable Valentine’s Day gift!
For romantic gift ideas don’t even think about predictable gifts and generic cards. Do something unexpected the next time you celebrate your love. Personalize romantic gifts that will be remembered and cherished for years to come. You can customize gifts to make them more special and meaningful.
You can get them a car, a house, sponsor their wedding, get them a washing machine… There are no limits literally.
If you still don’t have a clue what to get them for valentine’s day then just ask them straight up…
Don’t just talk love; show love. – NaijaFamilyBlog
And there is our list of the best Valentine’s Day gift ideas for 2019.
So how do you intend to celebrate this Valentine’s Day? Do you have any more suggestions you would like to share with us? You can do that in the comments box below.
Child obesity is a serious medical condition that affects children and adolescents. Children who are obese are above the normal weight for their age and height. And this is not healthy.
Childhood obesity is troubling because the extra weight often leads children to health problems regardless of their age — diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
Many obese children can become obese adults, especially if one or both parents are obese. And it is more likely to be so if they don’t help their child watch it.
Childhood obesity can also lead to poor self-esteem and depression.
Symptoms of Child Obesity
Not all children carrying extra pounds are overweight or obese though. Some children just have bigger-than-average body frames.
And children normally have different amounts of body fat at the various stages of development.
So you might not know just by looking at your child if weight is a health concern.
The body mass index (BMI), which provides a guideline of weight in relation to height, is the accepted measure of overweight and obesity.
Your child’s doctor can help you figure out if your child’s weight could pose health problems by using growth charts, the BMI and, if necessary, other tests.
When to See a Doctor About Child Obesity
If you’re worried that your child is putting on too much weight, talk to your family doctor.
Your child’s doctor will consider your child’s history of growth and development, your family’s weight-for-height history, and where your child lands on the growth charts.
This can help determine if your child’s weight is in an unhealthy range.
Causes of Child Obesity
Lifestyle issues — too little activity and too many calories from food and drinks — are the main contributors to childhood obesity.
But genetic and hormonal factors might play a role as well.
For example, recent research has found that changes in digestive hormones can affect the signals that let you know you’re full.
Risk factors of Obesity
Many factors — usually working in combination — increase your child’s risk of becoming overweight:
Regularly eating high-calorie foods, such as fast foods, baked goods and vending machine snacks, can easily cause your child to gain weight.
Candy and desserts also can cause weight gain, and more and more evidence points to sugary drinks, including fruit juices, as culprits in obesity in some people.
Kids are prone to eat much more during festive periods like birthdays, Christmas and new year holidays, school breaks, etc
- Lack of exercise.
Children who don’t exercise much are more likely to gain weight because they don’t burn as many calories.
Too much time spent in sedentary activities, such as watching television or playing video games, also contributes to the problem.
- Family factors.
If your child comes from a family of overweight people, he or she may be more likely to put on weight.
This is especially true in an environment where high-calorie foods are always available and physical activity isn’t encouraged.
- Psychological factors.
Personal, parental and family stress can increase a child’s risk of obesity.
Some children overeat to cope with problems or to deal with emotions, such as stress, or to fight boredom. Their parents may have similar tendencies.
- Socioeconomic factors.
People in some communities have limited resources and limited access to supermarkets. As a result, they may opt for convenience foods that don’t spoil quickly, such as frozen meals, crackers and cookies.
In addition, people who live in lower income neighborhoods might not have access to a safe place to exercise.
Complications of Child Obesity
Childhood obesity can have complications for your child’s physical, social and emotional well-being.
Type 2 diabetes. This chronic condition affects the way your child’s body uses sugar (glucose). Obesity and a sedentary lifestyle increase the risk of type 2 diabetes.
This cluster of conditions can put your child at risk of heart disease, diabetes or other health problems.
Conditions include high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high triglycerides, low HDL (“good”) cholesterol and excess abdominal fat.
High cholesterol and high blood pressure. A poor diet can cause your child to develop one or both of these conditions. These factors can contribute to the buildup of plaques in the arteries. These plaques can cause arteries to narrow and harden, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke later in life.
Asthma. Children who are overweight or obese might be more likely to have asthma. Sleep disorders. Obstructive sleep apnea is a potentially serious disorder in which a child’s breathing repeatedly stops and starts during sleep.
Social and Emotional Complications
Low self-esteem and being bullied. Children often tease or bully their overweight peers, who suffer a loss of self-esteem and an increased risk of depression as a result.
Behaviour and learning problems. Overweight children tend to have more anxiety and poorer social skills than normal-weight children do. These problems might lead children who are overweight to act out and disrupt their classrooms at one extreme, or to withdraw socially at the other.
Depression. Low self-esteem can create overwhelming feelings of hopelessness, which can lead to depression in some children who are overweight.
One of the best strategies to prevent childhood obesity is to improve the eating and exercise habits of your entire family.
Whether your child is at risk of becoming overweight or currently at a healthy weight, you can take measures to get or keep things on the right track.
Limit your child’s consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages. Provide plenty of fruits and vegetables. Eat meals as a family as often as possible. Limit eating out, especially at fast-food restaurants. Adjust portion sizes appropriately for age. Limit TV and other screen time.
Treating and preventing childhood obesity helps protect your child’s health now and in the future.
Also, be sure your child sees the doctor for child welfare checkups at least once a year. During this visit, the doctor measures your child’s height and weight and calculates his or her BMI. An increase in your child’s BMI or in his or her percentile rank over one year is a possible sign that your child is at risk of becoming overweight.
Being obese is no evidence of good living. And yes obesity can be controlled! Feed your child with the right food and the right amount so they can grow healthy.
[dropcap]F[/dropcap]irst conceived in the February of 1991, the project of International Men’s Day was inaugurated a year later– in February 1992. The project of International Men’s Day was revived in 1999 in the Caribbean islands of Trinidad and Tobago.
Jerome Teelucksing, a doctor from Trinidad and Tobago, chose November 19 to celebrate International Men’s Day in honour of his father’s birthday. International Men’s Day, Dr Teelucksingh believed, is not just a gendered day but an event to address issues relating to men and boys.
This day also aims to celebrate “invisible” men who positively influence their gender, are inspiring role models for boys and try to raise awareness of men’s mental health.
International Men’s Day tries to create a conversation around things like mental health, toxic masculinity and the prevalence of male suicide.
International Men’s Day also explores issues like real-life options, poverty, hunger, homelessness, fatherlessness, parental alienation, mass incarceration, religious and ethnic intolerance which may prevent men and boys from living healthier, purpose-driven, and longer lives.
Who is the real MAN to be celebrated on International Men’s day?
A man is one of the most vital parts of God’s creation.
He sacrifices his dreams for just a smile on his parents’ face.
He spends his entire pocket money on buying gifts for the lady he loves, just to see her smiling.
He sacrifices his full youth for his wife & children by working late at night without any complaint.
He builds their future by taking loans from banks & repaying them for his entire lifetime.
He struggles a lot & still has to bear scolding from his mother, wife and boss.
His life ends up only by compromising for others’ happiness.
If he goes out, he is careless.
If he stays at home, he is lazy.
If he scolds his children, he is a monster.
If he doesn’t scold them, he is an irresponsible man.
If he stops his wife from working, then he is an insecure man.
If he doesn’t stop his wife from working, then he is somebody who lives on his wife’s earnings.
If he listens to mom, he is mama’s boy.
If he listens to his wife, he is, his wife’s slave.
If he does not play he is too serious, stern and stiff.
If he plays, he is a joker who never matures.
If he dresses well, he is extravagant and a possible womanizer. If he doesn’t dress well, he is a loser who is not a gentleman.
Respect every male in your life. You will never know what he has sacrificed for you.
Happy International Men’s day!!!
So, today is a good day to make a difference in this world on International Men’s Day. Be more empathetic and open in understanding gender. Be a man for a day and see what it is like?